Thursday, August 10, 2017

Goodbye MTC--Hello Mission Field--Bath, Guyana (Week 1)

July 24th, 2017 Arrived in Trinidad
July 27th, 2017 Arrived in Guyana

Elder Cook--Week 1

Hello Everybody,

My week began at three in the morning last Monday when we had to leave the MTC for a 6:42 flight from Santo Domingo to Panama. Then we had a four hour layover, and then we boarded another plan to Port of Spain. We got to Trinidad around four in the afternoon that day. We stayed near the Egbert's house for two nights, and we were able to be interviewed, pay for the bike fund, have orientation, find out where our areas are, find out our companions, and meet some missionaries. Along with Elder Griffith, Elder Allen, Elder Henriksen, Elder Shields and I, there were two missionaries, Elder Richards and Elder Groenendyjk who came from Provo.  There were also fourteen missionaries leaving the mission. We are all going to be in Guyana, except Elder Richards, who is going to Curacao.  I found out that I would be assigned to Bath, Guyana, which is part of the Berbice region in Guyana. My companion is Elder Cook.  He is from Logan, Utah and he is the cousin of Elder Jensen, who was a missionary going to Puerto Rico from the MTC in DR. On Wednesday, we flew to Guyana, and spent the first night in Georgetown. Then, on Thursday, I was able to meet my companion in Bath. We have a bright pink house, and the whole inside is lime green. You know you are jealous Mom. My companion turns a year old on Thursday, so he gets to burn a shirt.  It has been amazing being here in Guyana. The people here are so nice. We are in Rosignol branch. This past Sunday we had sixty-three people there. The branch president, President Narine, lives in our area.  He is an amazing person. Like nearly everyone here, he is really poor, but he gives so much to the church. We have this really cool investigator named Mike who is seventy-two years old. We went over this week and taught him the Word of Wisdom, and he completely understood it.  He had already given up tobacco fifteen years ago, and before we came that day, he prayed that the desire to drink alcohol would leave him. He also gave up green tea when we said the Lord has asked us not to drink it.  He also set a baptismal date of September 2, and he just has to get married first.  He is such an amazing guy. I am so glad to be here.  I have loved meeting the people here. They really know how to cook.  I am afraid that I may gain some weight here because I am fed so well.  Anyway, it has been an amazing week, and I love Guyana.

Sincerely,
Elder Hanni

P.S. It is the dry season here, so it has barely rained at all since I have been here, but it will dump every day when November comes.

Mission President, his wife, and all the Elders entering the mission field.  




MTC District

Elder Edwards and I 

My first home in the Bath, Guyana


No comments:

Post a Comment