Friday, November 16, 2018

Week 68--Bel Air, Guyana

Week 2--Elder Buxton

Hello family,

 I'm so glad that this area is super close to Garden Park, because Brother Beresford got baptized on Saturday, and I got to go to it. It was amazing. I'm so glad that everything finally worked out for him to be baptized!

 We are doing really well in Bel Air. We were able to start a new contact area this week, and we already came in contact with a family there, so we are excited about that. We also randomly found a less active member walking down the street who lives in another area, but we invited her to church, and she was there on Sunday, so that was really cool.

  Elder Buxton and I are doing great. I really enjoy being his companion, and we are both just really focused on helping the people here. We are getting along really well, and I am enjoying learning from his experience.

  I have a testimony of a desire to help Heavenly Father's children. We have an investigator whose brother was baptized just before I got here, but for some reason, he was holding back, and it just seemed like he didn't want to be baptized. We didn't know why, and we just weren't sure how to help him. Yesterday, we went by, and most of the time, we focus on teaching the whole family, but this time, we focused on him. We asked him what would be stopping him from being baptized, and he thought about it for a little while, and then he said, "Nothing." Then, we asked him if he likes coming to church, and he said he likes it better than staying at home. Then we asked how he feels about the Book of Mormon, and he said, "When I read about what Jesus said and did, I just feel like I'm there with him. The Spirit prompted us to share 2 Nephi 31:13 with him and talk about how when we are baptized, we are there in the water with the Savior. At that point, we asked him if that's what he wanted, and he said yes. He then committed to being baptized on the 17th of November! I know that if we didn't desire to help him, the Lord wouldn't have helped us know what to do to address his needs. I'm so grateful for the Holy Ghost and the guidance of our Heavenly Father.

  A spiritual experience I had this week was in following up with a contact that we made last week. It was a woman who was about to get in a car and leave, but we were able to talk to her for about ten seconds, and we were able to get a return appointment. On Monday, we went back, and it turns out that she and her family were going out again, but we had a little more time to talk to her. She talked about how sorry she was that we couldn't meet that night, but she invited us back the next day because she said she really wanted to have help in her family relationships. We went back the next day, and the whole family was there waiting for us, and we had such a nice lesson with them. The mom talked again about how she wanted that help in her family relationships, and we promised her that through this message, she could have that help. As we followed up throughout the week, we discovered that her daughter had brought the Restoration Tract to school and had read the whole thing. She then went and told her mom that she needed to read it more. That was a cool spiritual experience for me, and I'm excited to be able to see that family again.

 I love all of you so much. Thanks for the emails! I hope this week is amazing for all of you!

Love,
 Elder Hanni

Brother Beresford Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment