Thursday, July 26, 2018

Week 51--Garden Park, Georgetown, Guyana

Week 15--Elder Ortega

Hello family,


 I am very glad that all of you made it safely to the new place. I'm glad there are bunnies for Ellie to try and catch. She must be having the time of her life. We officially hit the dry season here in Guyana. It is pretty hot and sunny almost every day. It reminds me of what it was like when I first got to Guyana about a year ago. I never know what temperature it is every day because there's nothing that says what the temperature is, but it's safe to say that it's always warm.


 We were excited to have quite a few of our progressing investigators progress in little ways this week. Kwesi went back to work bus routes this week so that he and Sheniza can get married. His sister Abiola is getting a job so that she can get her own apartment, and his mom Pamela is changing and becoming more loving, especially when she learned about the temple this week.

  Elder Ortega and I worked hard this week. Our desire is to be exactly obedient, so we were paying attention for those little ways that we can improve every day to be doing what the Lord wants us to be doing. I feel good about that, and I'm grateful that we have that desire together so that we are both working on it. We have had very spiritual lessons this week, and that is because our desires were to do what Heavenly Father wanted us to do.

   I have a testimony of the spirit of Elijah and of temples and family history work. When we taught Sister Pamela, Brother Kwesi's mom, this week, we taught her about the temple and all of the things that we can do there. Normally when we teach her something, we have to give her a little reminder of it the next time we go by, but the lesson after we taught her about the temple, one of the first things she said to us after the start of the lesson was, "I want to go to that mountain." The temple is her goal now, and I know that she now has a greater desire to be baptized than before because her goal is the temple. She's so excited to go there someday.

  I had a spiritual experience yesterday at church. Brother Kwesi was unable to come to church because he and his family were busy doing something. That usually means that Brother Beresford, another investigator we have, cannot make it. Because of his healing leg, the doctors told him that he won't be able to put pressure on it until next year, so he depends on Kwesi to come and pick him up. However, during sacrament meeting, we saw him come into church on his crutches. We asked him afterwards how he was able to come, and he said that he rode his bike all the way from his house to the church, which is not a short distance. He was able to do it using his good leg. That was a spiritual experience for me because it showed how much this church really means to this wonderful man. He didn't make excuses to not come to church. He came, and I know that Heavenly Father blesses him for his commitment, even though he is not able to be baptized yet.

 I am absolutely loving it over here. This experience is something that I feel is changing me. I'm so grateful to Heavenly Father for this opportunity to represent His Son Jesus Christ as a missionary. I pray that all of you will continue to do well, and I hope that you are enjoying your new experiences.

I love you so much!

Love,
  Elder Hanni


No comments:

Post a Comment